The Golden Road
I love Los Angeles. It has just the right amount of crazy that I am looking for in humanity. If it weren’t for the traffic, I might still live there. But most importantly is the sun. I have been spoiled with southern California weather my whole life and love every minute of it. So it seems fitting for me bake with an LA brew. Golden Road is a place I would spend more time if I didn’t have to travel over to hill. Their 329 Days of Sun Lager is a great beer for this heat. Here are some beer facts:
To be honest, this recipe started as an orange cream cupcake recipe, but, as I began baking, I realized I didn’t have an orange to work with. So it became a citrus concoction that tastes more like lemon. The cupcake itself is light and fluffy while the frosting was a punch in the mouth of lemon.
There are a couple of changes I would make in this recipe however. The orange and lemon juice made the frosting somewhat runny and, living in this California heat, also made it a mess. Instead of lemon or orange, I would go with an extract flavor as it requires very little moisture and most likely produces ten times the amount of flavor. I would also add citrus zest to the cupcake itself. This cupcake is delicious. Take it to some summer barbecues and enjoy it with a Golden Road lager.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Line cupcake pan with 16 paper liners.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Use a mixer to whisk the butter and sugar together until lightly fluffy, for about 3 minutes.
- Add orange juice and Golden Road 329 Lager into a sauce pan. Boil down until it becomes half a cup.
- Beat eggs, vanilla extract, and the orange juice / beer mixture into a bowl. Mix into butter/ sugar mixture and continue beating the ingredients together. Reduce mixer speed.
- Beat half of the flour and milk into the bowl. Continue beating until all ingredients of mixed together. Then add the remaining flour and continue mixing until you reach a slightly lumpy consistency.
- Pour the mix into the cupcake pan, filling the cups three-quarters full. Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until you can poke the center of a cupcake with a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, remove from pan and let cool some more.
- In a bowl, combine milk, powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla extract together with a mixer on medium settings until smooth and fluffy
- Sprinkle on some lemon zest.
- Spread on cupcakes. Do stuff on the stuff and make the stuff with the stuff but not before the other stuff
- Add a slice of orange for decoration