Before starting the Smoked Porter Cheesy Jalapeño bread, I received this tweet:
@kylevalenzuela Stone Levitaton Ale works well in bread. Or Stone Smoked Porter if you’re looking for something a little different!
— Stone Brewing Co. (@StoneBrewingCo) June 6, 2014
I have had this beer in my presence many times since that tweet, however, I found myself drinking the beer more than baking the brew.
The beer: Stone Levitation Ale. The bread: Irish Soda Bread.
This did not have the somewhat bland and simple flavors of soda bread. It tasted very much like a Levitation Ale socked Russian rye bread. Most of the breads I have created contain a subtle flavor of the beer. This, however, was packed full of Stone goodness. If you are a really big fan of Levitation ale then you will love this bread.
I recommend slicing, toasting, and smothering it with some Kerry Gold butter and enjoying for breakfast or for a snack.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit.
- Mix dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Lightly whisk eggs together.
- Blend together buttermilk and Levitation Ale.
- Mix eggs and buttermilk / levitation ale mixture into dry ingredients. Mix until slightly lumpy
- Pour the mix into a cast iron skillet (loaf pan will work too). Place in oven for 50 minutes
- Melt Kerry Gold butter and pour onto bread. Sprinkle kosher salt on top. Cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Take out of oven and let cool overnight for best results.