- Beer Style: American Sour Ale
- Brewery: Ballast Point
As an enthusiast for sour beers and lambics, I was so excited to try another sour made by the creators of the Grapefruit Sculpin, one of my favorite IPAs. The first sour I tried by Ballast Point was the Tart Peach Kolsch which I still find delightfully enjoyable so I was immediately intrigued by the Sour Wench Blackberry Ale. Sour profile? Good. Blackberry? Very good. Pirate-y name? Super good. She already had my attention before I got to meet her. When we did meet, the wench met all my expectations: she has sass, she has wheat, she has tart, and is flirtatiously fruity.
More like jam this cookie into my mouth
It is no surprise that when Baking Brew’s Blackberry Wench Jam recipe came out a few weeks ago, I had to try it. Even better, I had make one of my childhood favorites with it: jam filled shortbread cookies. I have had every single available flavor that were manufactured and sold in stores.
Strawberry, raspberry, boysenberry, blueberry, apricot–no single flavor has been left untried! I still indulge here and there with a bag from vending machines, but I am learning that it isn’t too hard to make. Since I have not had a blackberry jam filled shortbread cookie, I had a calling from the jam shortbread cookie gods to bring this cookie to life.
These cookies are called many names: jam shortbread, thumbprint cookies, fruit filled shortbread cookies. It’s quite the mouthful for words–and why put words in your mouth when you should put cookies–so I have decided to call these blackberry jam cookies “wenchies.” The recipe is a simple shortbread cookie that holds well on its own and complements the tartness of the jam well. The lady wench as a jam still makes you pucker but she still knows how to show you a good time.
This recipe will make 30 two inch cookies
As an added bonus, here’s how you can shape your cookies into hearts!
Blackberry Shortbread Wenchies Details
Blackberry Shortbread Wenchies ingredients
- 3/4 cup of butter (softened)
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Blackberry Wench Jam
Blackberry Shortbread Wenchies directions
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture.
- With the mixed dough, create 2″ balls of dough. Place balls on a cookie sheet and press into each ball to create a well in the middle of the dough.
- Gently spoon some Blackberry Wench Jam into each well. Be sure to not overfill each cookie well or you will get some spillage.
- Bake at 350F at 15 minutes or until lightly golden.