- Beer Style: Herb / Spiced Ale
- Brewery: Dogfish Head
Cupcakes Made With Ancient Beer
A couple weeks back, I discussed Beerology and the history of home brewing. In fact they are still open and are even hosting a Bierfest of their own. In the exhibit, they explained the process of making what is considered the first brewed beer. Over ten thousand years ago in China, a beer fermented in rice and fruit was made. Dogfish Head attempts to recreate this beer with Chateau Jiahu as they explain in their Quick Sip Clips.
The flavor is very sweet and comes off as a sparkling wine in many ways . I thought that this sweet beer would go well with bittersweet cupcakes. So I though I would make Chateau Jiahu Grapefruit Cupcakes.
I am not particularly a fan of the bittersweet flavors of the grapefruit, but I found the bitterness a refreshing change in what is usually an ocean of sweet flavors. If you enjoy the ancient flavors of Chateau Jiahu then you will definitely love the Chateau Jiahu Grapefruit Cupcakes.
Chateau Jiahu Grapefruit Cupcakes details
Chateau Jiahu Grapefruit Cupcakes ingredients
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch Salt
- 1 Stick of Butter (Soft)
- 1/2 Cup Dogfish Head Chateau Jiahu
- 1/2 Cup of Grapefruit Juice
- 1 Cup of Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs (Room Temperature)
- 2/3 Cups of Whole Milk
Chateau Jiahu Grapefruit frosting ingredients
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Butter (Soft)
- 4 Tablespoons Cream
- Grapefruit Zest
Chateau Jiahu Grapefruit Cupcakes directions
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Line cupcake pan with 16 paper liners.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Use a mixer to whisk the butter and sugar together until lightly fluffy, for about 3 minutes.
- Squeeze grapefruit juice and add Chateau Jiahu into a sauce pan. Boil down until it becomes half a cup.
- Beat eggs and grapefruit juice / beer mixture into a bowl. Mix into butter/ sugar mixture and continue beating the ingredients together. Reduce mixer speed.
- Beat half of the flour and milk into the bowl. Continue beating until all ingredients of mixed together. Then add the remaining flour and continue mixing until you reach a slightly lumpy consistency.
- Pour the mix into the cupcake pan, filling the cups three-quarters full. Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until you can poke the center of a cupcake with a toothpick and it comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, remove from pan and let cool some more.
Chateau Jiahu Grapefruit frosting directions
- Add powdered sugar, butter, and grapefruit zest into a bowl.
- Slowly pour cream into bowl and blend with an electric blending. If still lumpy, add more cream. Blend until you can create strong peaks.
- Add food coloring and frost those cakes