- Beer Style: American Pale Ale
- Brewery: Elysian Brewing Company
Part II: A Change From Traditional
Typically, I hate most human beings. So it is odd that I opened my mouth and decided to host Thanksgiving last year. “Who cares,” I thought as I believe humans aren’t the main show. It is all about the food on thanksgiving. People just get in the way
This year, rather than making the traditional butt stuffing, I wanted something a little more brighter. The traditional butt stuffing is savory heaven and is a must for the holidays. So I decided to outsource that recipe to a family member and focus on experimentation. Knowing that good stuffing exists in the hopes that things don’t work out is a necessity on the biggest day of butt stuffing.
Cranberries and Butter
2017 is the year of contrasting flavors. I am really getting a kick out of assumptions of an up-front flavor being smashed instantly by the after taste.
Salty and sweet, especially involving fish sauce seen in your favorite Vietnamese dishes is a prime example of this contrasting love. In this particular experiment, I want to give the taster a sense of comfort and familiarity. This will be provided by the typical flavors found in stuffing: salt, thyme, butter, and parsley will be apart of the lineup. Joining these friends is a new player in this space for me, though perhaps not that unfamiliar to many, especially during this time. I am of course talking about cranberries.
I wanted to somewhat encapsulate a lot of flavors found in your typical Thanksgiving dinner in one complete bite. I will say that I did not accomplish this. I played it too conservatively and created a dish that is sparser in the encapsulated desired flavor. However, when one did get the pleasure of getting the “perfect bite”, I will say that no one thinking about the traditional butt stuffing
Loser Thanksgiving Stuffing details
1 hour 20 minutes
Loser Thanksgiving Stuffing ingredients
- 10 cups of toasted Loser Beer Bread
- 2 cups of crushed pecans
- 1 cup of whole cranberries
- 9 tablespoons of butter
- 3 chopped celery stalks
- 2 large chopped yellow onions
- 1/4 cup of chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon of ground sage
- 1 tablespoon of ground thyme
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 11/2 – 2 cups of turkey broth
- Splash of Elysian Looser
Loser Thanksgiving Stuffing directions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place beer bread cubes, pecans and cranberries in large bowl and set aside.
- Coat a 9 inch baking pan or a remekin lightly with vegetable oil or extra butter.
- Add butter to a frying pan and grill the onions and celery. Cook until golden while stirring frequently. Add parsley, ground sage, thyme, kosher salt and pepper. Continue mixing.
- Add mixture to bread cubes and gently mix. Drizzle 11/2½ cups of the chicken broth over mixture in bowl, and stir to combine.
- Place stuffing in your baking dish and baking for 50-60 minutes. Surface area should be toasted and
- Alternate step: instead of baking in the oven, add it to the butt of your bird!