- Beer Style: American Double / Imperial Stout
- Brewery: Bear Republic
The Bear Returns
Cupcakes are good. I like cupcakes. But I have been using butter as my main source of fat in the latest cupcakes recipes. This recipe, I want to move back to oil. Sweet delicious oil.
The beer for the this recipe is a stout from Bear Republic Brewing Co. We will be making a cupcakes similar to the Double Mountain Chocolate Cake recipe I created for my birthday last year. This recipe will feature no particular frosting recipe. Do what you will with these cupcakes.
Cooking down an entire bottle of beer into 1 cup of liquid makes for a very concentrated liquid. I would recommend cooking down less than an entire bottle as it left a flavor that left a stout after taste, which might not be that bad depending on your taste buds and how you like cupcakes.
And as usual, let me know if you make this recipe.
Big Bear Black Cupcakes details
Big Bear Black Cupcakes ingredients
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 cups of sugar
- ½ cup of cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of whole milk
- ¼ cup of single source coffee
- 1 bottle of Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout
- 1/2 cup of grape seed oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
Big Bear Black Cupcakes directions
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit. Place cupcake holders in a cupcake pan
- In sauce pan, add Bear Republic stout and cook down until liquid becomes 1 cup. In a french press (or use a strainer) and brew the beer and coffee together. Strain out the beans and pour into a cup. Set aside
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl place sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract and cream together using a standing mixer
- Add milk, beer / coffee, and oil (one at a time) into the egg / sugar mixture. Then slowly add the dry ingredients, little by little. Mix with your standing mixer
- Add batter into the cupcakes holders filling about ¾ full. Place into the oven and bake for 25 – 30 minutes
- Let cool for 30 minutes before frosting